This recipe was inspired by the açai bowl I had when I went to Hawaii. I had my first açai bowl from Haleiwa Bowls in North Shore, Hawaii. It’s not the exact recipe, but this was inspired and remind me of the one I had. There are different types of açai that you can get to make the smoothies: frozen, juice pulp or powder form (freeze-dried which I use). Açai is rich in both vitamins (A, E, & C) and minerals (calcium, iron, potassium, and sodium). I think it’s pretty easy to make and if you want to bring it on the go, just pack the dry ingredients in a separate jar and combine when you’re ready to eat – just like a parfait! Enjoy!
Be creative and have fun with the toppings! I’ve also tried this with sweet mango instead of berries – and the taste altogether is heavenly like I’m on a tropical island (also because I love mangoes) haha.
- 2 Frozen bananas cut into smaller pieces
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 Tbsp freeze-dried açai powder
- 1 Tbsp honey
- Chia seeds
- Coconut flakes
- Put bananas, acai powder, almond milk, and honey in a high-speed blender
- Blend until smooth
- Pour in a cup and enjoy (if you want to drink it as a smoothie) or bowl (if you want to have it for breakfast)
- Put your favourite toppings if you choose to have it for breakfast or snack
- I added whole grain gluten-free crispy rice, strawberries, blueberries, and coconut flakes on mine.